Monday, January 5, 2009

Chickpea Pasta with Almonds and Parmesan


I made this recipe tonight because I knew I had a can of chickpeas in my cabinet that I hadn't used. And then I was halfway done making it and I realized I had given them to a food drive. I'm glad we live next to the grocery store!

This is from Real Simple magazine and it was pretty decent. Matt ate a lot even though it didn't even have meat involved! It doesn't need 7 cups of broth (maybe 6?) and I used only 4 cups of broth and the rest water so it would be a little less salty. We made it with whole wheat pasta and added extra red pepper because we like it spicy. Xavier liked the chickpeas!

Chickpea Pasta with Almonds and Parmesan
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
7 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 pound angel hair pasta
1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.

Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, red pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.

Add the pasta and cook, stirring, until the broth is nearly absorbed and the pasta is al dente, about 6 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and parsley.

Divide among individual bowls and top with the almonds and Parmesan.

No comments: