Thursday, January 15, 2009

Spinach-Stuffed Chicken

I got this recipe from Meals Matter and we love it. Naomi eats it too (she'll eat just about anything though). It's a little labor intensive but I usually try and do some of it earlier in the morning (like flatten the chicken) so there's not as much to do later. I didn't have any fresh garlic so I used garlic powder instead, and I didn't use the mushrooms either. I didn't have any bread crumbs either so I used stove top stuffing...I think it's better than plain bread crumbs anyway. I guess it's nice to be able to take a recipe and do whatever you want with it and it still tastes good! Enjoy!

Ingredients
6 cups Torn fresh spinach (5 oz)
1/2 cup Chopped onion
1/2 cup Chopped fresh mushrooms
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Olive oil or canola oil
1/2 teaspoon Dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
6 Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup Dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons Grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/4 cup Egg substitute
1 tablespoon Water
2 tablespoons Butter or stick margarine, melted

Preparation
In a large nonstick skillet, cook spinach in 1/2 inch of water over medium heat just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Drain and set spinach aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the seasonings; add spinach and set aside.
Flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness. Spread spinach mixture down the center of each chicken breast. Fold one side over filling and roll up tightly; secure with a toothpick. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and paprika. In another bowl, combine egg substitute and water. Dip each roll-up in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture. Place seam side down in a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear. Discard toothpicks.

1 comment:

Rachel Hill said...

How do you flatten the chicken? I don't think I've ever done that...